• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 6 (6-ounce) skinless halibut fillet pieces Apple Vinaigrette
• 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and diced (Pink Lady, Fuji, or Gala)
• 1 tablespoon minced shallot
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 3 tablespoons hazelnut or pecan oil (or olive oil in a pinch)
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorns
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper Nut Crust
• 2 cups coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts or pecans
• 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
• 1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1¼ teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Cooking time25 minutes
Preparation time45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. For the vinaigrette, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the apple and shallot and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shallot is tender. Stir in the lemon Juice, sugar, and remaining 5 tablespoons vegetable oil. Transfer half this mixture to a food processor and pulse a few times to finely chop. Combine this with the remaining apple/shallot mixture in a medium bowl. Whisk in the vinegar, nut oil, mustard, thyme, lemon zest, and peppercorns. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside. (Refrigerate the dressing if making more than 1 hour in advance; allow it to come to room temperature before serving.)
3. For the nut crust, combine the nuts, lemon zest, thyme, salt, mustard, and cayenne in the food processor. Pulse 10 to 15 times to finely chop the nuts, until they have a texture of bread crumbs; avoid overprocessmg. You don't want to make nut paste. Transfer to a shallow dish.
4. Stir together the melted butter and vegetable oil in a shallow dish. Dip the halibut in this to evenly coat, allowing the excess to drip off. Immediately coat the fish evenly with the nut crust and set on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the crust is nicely browned and the fish is just opaque throughout (the timing will vary depending on the thickness of the fish).
5. To serve, set the halibut pieces on individual warmed plates. Stir the vinaigrette to remix and spoon it over and alongside the fish.
Related recipes to Halibut with Nut Crust
Flounder Rolls, Kosher Parve Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350. Sautee onions in oil until soft and translucent. Add mushrooms and...
Striped Bass, Pan Roasted Recipe
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dry the fillets thoroughly with paper ...
Crispy Lemon Fish Fillets Recipe
1. Place French Fried Onions, lemon zest and garlic in plastic bag. Crush onions with hands or...
Salt Fish Fritters (Stamp & Go) Recipe
1. Mix the prepared salt fish with the rest of the finely chopped seasonings. Mix the baking...
Tuna, Mediterranean Tuna Salad Recipe
1. MIX juice and mustard in medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat well. Cover...