• 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 3 slices firm white bread)
• 2 tablespoons Cabot Salted Butter
• 2 cups chopped onions
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 pounds dry-fleshed winter squash, such as Buttercup, Hubbard or Kabocha, peeled and seeded
• 3/4-1 cup chicken broth
Cooking time1 hour
Preparation time2 hours
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Combine cheese and bread crumbs in bowl and set aside.
2. In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and sugar. Stir often until onions are golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, thyme and pepper, then transfer mixture to 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
3. Cut squash into smaller chunks and cut these chunks into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Add to onions and stir together well.
4. Pour 3/4 cup of chicken broth evenly over squash. Cover dish tightly with lid or foil and bake for about 70 minutes, or until squash is tender and broth is nearly all absorbed. If squash appears dry, add remaining 1/4 cup broth.
5. Sprinkle squash with reserved bread crumb mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 20 minutes longer.
Related recipes to Winter Squash Gratin
Vegetarian Roast Vege Lasagna Recipe
Prepare lasagne according to package directions. While lasagne is cooking, heat oven to 425° F....
Jalapenos, Grilled Pepper Poppers Recipe
Mix dipping sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and refrigerate.Fry bacon, drain,...
Artichoke Ceviche, Belgian Endive Recipe
1. Trim the stems, leaves, and choke from the artichokes. Place the hearts in a small pot with...
Avocado Parmesan Potato Bowls Recipe
Cook bacon until crisp, crumble and set aside. Place potatoes in large saucepan, adding enough...
Grilled Marinated Mushrooms Recipe
In a sauce pan melt butter. Add remaining ingredients and mix well until warm. Pour marinade over...